Having a credit card is one of the reasons why consumers get overwhelmed with debt. They get addicted to spending even if they know it’s already beyond their means. And when things get out of hand, that’s when they know they are stuck with loads of debts to pay. When it comes to this, you might consider debt consolidation. Credit helpers can give you advice when it comes to debt consolidation.
What is debt consolidation?
Debt consolidation is when you combine multiple credits into one new loan at a possibly lower interest rate. It can help you stay organized and save money, especially when you feel like you’re not making any progress on your piled-up debts. However, debt consolidation may come with a higher rate, depending on your situation. Your rate can also be based on your current credit score.
Ways to consolidate your debt:
1. Make a balance transfer. If an individual has a substantial outstanding balance on their credit card, they will get another credit card with a lower interest rate. Once approved, they will get a cash advance to pay off their outstanding balance on the first credit card.
2. Home Equity Loan. Also known as a second mortgage, it lends you money with your home as collateral. It is a very workable strategy provided if appropriately used. It may be the easiest method. Best of all, home equity loans can offer tax deductions for the loan’s interest rate. Remember that the debtor should only use it for credit card debts. If used in on other things, this may worsen the problem.
3. Make use of a retirement fund. There are instances in that debtors use their retirement plan for debt consolidation. However, this method is the trickiest. One is it is not tax-deductible, and the problem arises when the debtor fails to pay within five years or when they resign from work.
There are also various pros and cons to your consolidating your debts. Let me jot down the list of some pros and cons before you go for debt consolidation.
Benefits of debt consolidation:
1. Faster debt repayment. Consolidation loan has fixed monthly payments with a clear beginning and end to the loan, which help you have a faster track to your payment pay-off.
2. Simplified finances. As I’ve said, when you consolidate your debt, multiple debts will merge into one. Since you only have one payment each month, it is easier for you to know how much money to set aside.
3. Lower interest rate. Rates vary depending on your credit score, loan amount, and term length but a debt consolidation loan is likely to have lower interest rates than your credit card.
4. Fixed repayment schedule. Credit cards have minimum payments each month. You’re all good even if you do not pay your entire bill as long as you pay for the minimum. However, it may take years to pay off your credit card debt. In a consolidation loan, you must pay a fixed price on a fixed schedule.
5. Boost credit. At first, you may see your credit score depleting, but it will help you boost your credit score in the long run. It is easier to track your monthly payment because you have a fixed payment and a fixed schedule.
The downside of debt consolidation.
1. It won’t guarantee you won’t go into debt again. Spending is hard-to-break addiction. Once you go debt-free, you might want to live beyond your means again. Consider making a realistic budget and stick to it. It is easier said than done, but you’ll get the hang of it if you have a lot of patience. Also, try saving up for emergencies so you won’t rely on a credit card when there is a financial surprise.
2. Upfront cost. When applying for a consolidation loan, asking for additional payments is essential. The upfront cost may include annual fees, balance transfer fees, closing costs, and loan origination fees. Depending on the lender, you may have to pay hundreds or thousands.
3. Higher rate. You may pay a higher rate every month than what you are paying for your credit card.
4. Missing payment may worsen the situation. It will significantly affect your credit score and will give you a hard time when you want to apply for future loans.
Debt consolidation may be the best option when you are struggling with your debts. You have to choose the best credit repair company services near me so that it will lessen the burden on you when handling your credit report.
There may be a way to be debt-free. However, it is more important that you do not have any debt. Lack of discipline in your finances is the key to unstable financial status. Spending beyond your means can be a pain and is hard to break.
Credit repair loan Canada will be a big help when it comes to your debt consolidation. Just make sure you choose the best credit repair and study the policies before going for it. Always ask for additional payments and other related fees. Choose the one where you know you can save more money. Deciding your finances is tricky; you should always think twice before going for a lender.